The Backstreet Boys are celebrating their 22nd anniversary as a band. It’s been 22 years since Brian got the call that led him to Florida (Let me tell you the story about the call that changed my destiny). It’s been 22 years since Kevin made that call. It’s been 22 years since Howie almost missed this chance to be a Backstreet Boy because he had originally auditioned under a persona. It’s been 22 years since Nick auditioned for the Mickey Mouse Club. It’s been 22 years since AJ became the first member of the Backstreet Boys.
I’ve been a fan of the Backstreet Boys since 1995. I’ve been a fan through the good and the bad. I’ve been a fan through the media claiming they split and the numerous times the media said they’ve reunited (even though we all know they never went away). Here are only some of the reasons why I heart the Backstreet Boys (in no particular order).
- YTV’s The Hit List: I spent every Friday night watching YTV’s The Hit List back in the mid-nineties. It was a show that featured music videos and interviews of popular groups/singers, especially in Canada. Back in the day we would watch the show Friday night to see who would be featured and what music videos would be played so we could record them the following day. I have many VHS tapes with interviews from the guys during those times.
- A Night Out With the Backstreet Boys: Wow! This was definitely a treat for me back in the day. I was never able to see the boys in concert during the earlier years. It wasn’t until 2008 when I saw them for the first time. I have no idea how many times I watched that video (or rewind Nick singing “I Need You Tonight”).
- Backstreet Boys: The Video: I’m surprised that I still have a working copy of this to be honest. I have no idea how many times my friends and I watched that video. This video gave us more information on each of the boys (since we didn’t have easy access to the internet at that time).
- Creativity: It was through discovering the Backstreet Boys that I later discovered Fan Fiction (and yes, I wrote it too). I learned so much about writing from this time. I also learned how to create websites and spent many hours creating various things. If it wasn’t for the Backstreet Boys I am pretty sure I would have never attempted to learn these things.
- In a World Like This: This is one of my favorite albums that they have released to date. It’s the first one since Kevin returned and it showed so much musical growth.
- The Anniversary Tour: I finally got to see ALL FIVE guys and travel with two of my friends to see them. It was also my first time going to an after party (highly recommended).
- Humour: These guys have great senses of humor. From the Frick and Frack moments of the past, hearing about the practical jokes they’ve played, and creating videos such as the Harlem Shake one they did, there is never a dull moment.
- Their support systems: Most of them have huge support systems from their families. How the guys are willing to share their lives with the fans is amazing, whether it is through showing pictures of their kids or family vacations to sharing stories from past events in their lives.
- Honesty: Although in the past they were unable to be has open with their fans as they wanted (and had to watch their every move), the boys have proved time and time again how much their fans mean to them through their honesty about their lives. From family drama to health or addictions, they’re honest with their fans in regards to their lives.
- Reality Shows: I’ve never been a fan of reality shows, I’ll be honest. But watching Nick put himself and his life in the public eye time and time again through “House of Carters” and “I Heart Nick Carter” gave me so much more respect for him. It has also shown us how he has grown into the person we see today.
- NKOTBSB: The joint venture of these two bands was amazing in itself. Unfortunately I didn’t get to see it live (and I could kick myself for it now) but I did get to live vicariously through all the wonderful people who posted videos on Youtube and shared their experience.
- Talent: Not only can the guys sing, but they can act, produce, and write (only to name a few). I loved the fact that they did an acoustic set on their most recent tour and played instruments. This just goes to show how talented they are (and who doesn’t like a boy with a guitar?)
- Life outside the Backstreet Boys: All boys have been successful with other ventures outside of the boys. Whether it is a solo album, fashion, acting, or various businesses; they boys have made a name for themselves in other areas. Us fans are always there to support other ventures as well.
- Frick and Frack: Enough said!
- The people behind the scenes: There are some very patient and amazing people working behind the scenes to make sure the boys get to gigs/interviews on time, to make sure everything runs smoothly during tours, to promote the exciting things that are coming up, and to keep them safe. We appreciate these people more than they will ever know (and we love interacting with them too!!!!)
- Cruises: I love Cruises! I love music! I have yet to be on a Backstreet Boys cruise but I will one of these days!
- Interaction with the Fans: They take the time to interact with the fans at events and on social media. How many of us have done a little happy dance to be followed by our favorites or to have them tweet us?
- The All I Have to Give Conversation Mix – 🙂
- Inspiration: These boys are inspirational. They have helped more people around the world then they’ll ever know. They have overcome so many things in their lives to be here today; from major surgeries – to family drama – to run ins with the law – to numerous stints in rehab. Sharing these things with the fans has only made us respect them even more. They’re human!
- Show ‘Em What You’re Made Of: This documentary was definitely an eye opener. They showed things that they could have easily cut out and pretend never happened but they didn’t. This only goes to prove that they are real and that they want us to see this. This documentary gave me so much more respect for the guys.
- KBNHA: Need I say more???
- Friends: Over the years I’ve had so many good memories with friends because of these guys. I count my blessings that I was able to see them in concert, as I never thought I ever would. I made friends through online communities years ago that I still talk to, even to this day. I am thankful for each and every one of them.
Here’s to another 22 years!!